Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back to school...

I guess all of our children and grandchildren are back in school now. I know my grandchildren are and both are really pleased with their teachers and new school. (Dillon is in middle school now.) I like to send my children cards for the first day of school and also some for the next few weeks, so they have something fun to open when they get in from a long day at school. Here are a couple of cards I made recently for them. My class also made this one, but Dillon got the first one. It uses the First Day stamp set that recently retired in the Summer Mini catalog. We cut the books using the Word Window punch. The little book the bookworm is holding is popped up with dimensionals so it give the card some dimension. Dillon liked this one. For Jessica I made this one (below) with the bookworm made from punches. I started with the 1/2" circle punch for the tail, progressed up with the 3/4", 1" and 1-1/4" circles. His head is made with the large oval punch. I had a hard time keeping Jessica from seeing this one since she spent that last week before school started with me. She was all over the stamp room, but I had the card for her hidden, awaiting the first days of school.

This next one hasn't gone out to Dillon yet--and I may not send it because it looks a lot like his other one. But I did want to put some math and the owl punch "teacher" on this one. I saw a similar one on Connie Babbert's blog. She had simpler addition (2 + 2 = 4), but hey, Dillon is in 7th grade now, so I added a harder addition problem. Ha! The numbers are cut from the Naturally Serif die on the Big Shot. Here's another one I made yesterday that might go to one of the children. I saw something like this one on another blog, too and LOVED the pencil idea. I decided to make scored lines down mine so it would look like the hexagon shape of a pencil. (The one I saw didn't have that.) Otherwise, I pretty much copied the one I saw except for colors.Here is a close up of the little raised portion on the card. I colored in the H and I so it would show up better, but am not sure it does. I raised this with dimensionals. These letters are from the Cute by the Inch level 2 Hostess set. I got that one recently and had so much fun playing with it. You will be seeing more samples using this set!Well, I have other tasks for today, so I'm signing off. I'll post more in the next day or so. Thanks for visiting my blog!! If you like what you see, leave me a comment. I love reading them!! Smiles, Laura

1 comment:

  1. I love these darling back to school cards! The wise owl is right at home on them. Bet Dillon and Jessica loved them! They would also be cute for teachers returning to classes!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments you leave. If acceptable, they will be posted to by blog.