Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dillon!

 My grandson, Dillon, will be 14 in early May (where has the time gone???).  Isn't he a handsome fellow!  We celebrated his birthday this past weekend while he was visiting us.  Here is the birthday card I made for him.  I was a bit worried if he'd like his card because it's not a "boy card".  But when he opened it, he said, "Hey, cool card!" so I knew he liked it.  He has been making cards with me since he was 5, so I knew he recognizes "cool" cards.

I first saw this layout on Pinterest and knew I had to make one---but I had to figure out the size of the squares and rectangles--they were not given and besides mine are smaller, I think.  That was a job!  But I love how the card looks looks, once I got it all figured out.
The card itself is Old Olive with Peach Parfait, Pacific Point and So Saffron used on it.  The background is striped Crumb Cake from the Neutrals Patterns DSP Stack.  The little brad-looking things are "bling" I purchased locally.

Below is the first card I made by this layout.  It uses Blushing Bride in the stripe and dotted from the In Colors Patterns DSP Stack.  I made this one for a Challenge Swap.
OK, so that you can make your own, here are the dimensions for the various squares and rectangles.  I hate it when someone posts a neat sample but does not tell how to make it.  So now you can make your own with these dimensions.
For Dillon's card, because I wanted three layers, I "squashed" everything up more and trimmed the top two squares/rectangles so they'd fit on the smaller sheet of designer paper.  Normally I really like three layers but in this case, two layers are fine!!  Oh, and all the squares and rectangles have inked edges and are popped up to give it dimension!

Hope you like these two today!! Smiles, Laura

4 comments:

  1. You are too kind! I can see so many possibilities to this design and I was also wondering the size of these squares... tks for sharing! BTW: Happy Birthday Dillon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for the Idea - and the measurements! ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, so much, for the measurements. This layout has been floating around lots of pinterest boards and blogs. You're so kind to share all your calculations. Love the card you made for Dillon; great colours! --Doris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Dillion's card -- I agree -- COOL CARD! Thanks so much for the measurements; you are really great to share all your hard work. Hadn't seen the layout before...now I've got good ideas for the four males I need cards for. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    SusanE

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments you leave. If acceptable, they will be posted to by blog.